The Missouri Dump Truckers Association has awarded four $1,000 scholarships for the 2010-2011 collegiate school year. The four recipients are S. Olivia Hays, daughter of Gerald (Gary) A. Hays of Monroe City, Missouri; Brandon Ludwig, son of Monica Ludwig of Monroe City, Missouri; Jacob Murphy, son of James and Janet Murphy of Hermann, Missouri; and Jayme Murphy, daughter of James and Janet Murphy of Hermann, Missouri.
Olivia Hays graduated from Monroe City R-1 High School in Monroe City in May, 2010. She plans to attend Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri where she will major in Biology with a course of study for pre-dentistry/dentistry.
Brandon Ludwig currently attends Missouri University of Science and Technology in Rolla, Missouri majoring in mechanical engineering. Brandon was awarded the scholarship the past three years. Brandon graduated from Monroe City R-1 High School in Monroe City in May, 2007.
Jacob Murphy attended Central Methodist University in Fayette, Missouri and transferred to Missouri State University in Springfield, Missouri in the College of Business Administration. Jacob graduated from Hermann High School in Hermann in May, 2008.
Jayme Murphy currently attends William Woods University in Fulton, Missouri where she plans to major in special education. Jacob graduated from Hermann High School in Hermann in May, 2008.
S. Olivia Hays
While at Monroe City R-1 High School Olivia’s extracurricular activities included:
- Art Club (9, 10, 11);
- Book Club (9, 10, 11);
- FCA (10, 11, 12) (President-12);
- FBLA (10, 11, 12);
- NHS (11, 12);
- Science Club (10, 11, 12);
- Spanish Club (12); and
- Student Council (Treasurer-10 & 12).
Honors and awards received:
- Most Courteous Girl Award (8th Grade Graduation);
- Perfect Attendance (10, 11);
- Fabulous Science Student (10, 11);
- “A” Honor Roll (9, 10); and
- “B” Honor Roll (11).
Community and other activities:
- Methodist Church Member;
- Tornado Disaster Relief Group;
- Serve meals at church dinners;
- Help at food drives;
- Assist at school book fair; and
- Help at school blood drives.
Olivia is currently employed in a pharmaceutical job and works 10-12 hours a week. She helps her parents out around the house with cleaning, laundry, and outside work. She also cleans and babysits for other people at least two times a week.
Olivia wants to be a dentist.
During Brandon’s three years at University of Missouri Science and Technology, he has maintained above a 3.0 GPA.
While in Monroe City R-1 High School, Brandon’s extracurricular activities included:
- National Honor Society (11 & 12);
- Quiz Bowl (11, 12);
- Football (9, 10, 11 & 12);
- FFA (9, 10, 11, & 12); and
- Student Council (Class Treasurer–11 & 12).
Honors and awards received included:
- Physics Robotics Contest-1st Place;
- Scholarship Award;
- FFA-Green Hand Award;
- Football-Best Offensive Lineman;
- Homecoming King; and
- Contest Participant.
Brandon is a member of Our Savior Kids at Our Savior Lutheran Church. During the summer of 2007 Brandon attended the National Youth Gathering-Missouri Synod.
Brandon is employed in a Federal Work Study with the Mechanical Engineering Office and works 10 hours a week. Last summer, Brandon babysat his two nieces, which included cooking and clean-up. The summer of 2008 and 2007 Brandon worked at General Mills in Hannibal, Missouri.
In Jacob’s previous two years between Central Methodist University and Missouri State University, he has maintained above a 3.0 GPA.
While in Hermann High School, Jacob’s extracurricular activities included:
- Football (9, 10, 11, 12);
- Baseball (9, 10, 11) (Captain-12);
- Basketball (9, 10, 11, 12);
- American Legion Baseball (9, 10, 11, 12);
- Soccer Referee (9, 10, 11, 12);
- Choir (9);
- Kammechor (10, 11, 12);
- Trend (9, 10, 11, 12);
- Chess Club (9);
- Varsity H (9, 10, 11, 12)
- National Honor Society (9, 10, 11, 12);
- Future Teachers Association (12);
- Town and Country 4-H (Grades 1 through 12) (President-9, 10, 11);
- Missouri State University Football (walk on) (College 1, 2); and
- Member, St. Paul United Church of Christ.
Honors and awards received:
- Perfect Attendance (Grades 1 through 12);
- Wendy’s High School Heisman Trophy Award (12);
- Who’s Who Among American High School Students (11);
- NFL Punt, Pass, and Kick (1st Place-Local, Regional and State Finalist at St. Louis Rams Game) (9);
- Football Varsity Letter (9, 10, 11, 12)
- Football Kicker Awards-1st Team-All State-(12), 1st Team-All Conference-(10, 11, 12); 1st Team-All District-(10, 12), 2nd Team-All District-(11), 1st Team-All Areas (10, 11, 12)’ 1st Team East Central Coaches Association (10, 11, 12), 2nd Team Central Missouri All District (10, 11), and School Record-Most PAT’s in a single season of 64 (11);
- Punter Awards-1st Team-Central MO All District (11), 2nd Team-All Conference (11), and School Record-Weightlifting 265 lbs. Power Clean Class 161-181 (12);
- Basketball-All Conference Academic (11), Freshman Letter (9), J.V. Letter (10), Varsity Letter (11);
- Baseball-Varsity Letter (p, 10, 11, 12), Team MVP (11), 1st Team All Conference (Unanimous Selection) (12), 2nd Team-All Conference (11), 1st Team-All District (11);
- Choir (9, 10, 11, 12)-The Director’s Award (9), Most Improved Student (12), All Conference Choir (11, 12);
- Courtwarming Candidate (12);
- Karate-1st Degree Black Belt;
- Missouri State University Dean’s List (Spring 2009 and Fall 2009);
- Missouri State Athletic Honor Roll (2010); and
- Perfect Attendance (2008 to Present).
Community and other service activities:
- Town and Country 4-H President-For four years, during that time I led the meetings, helped organize activities and community service projects. Represented our club at various county 4-H activities. Some community service projects that I did were: 4-H trash pickup around town and highways (9, 10), Decorate the nursing home resident’s doors at Christmas (9, 10), Bingo at the nursing home (9, 11), Clean up show arena at Gasconade County Fair (9, 10, 11, 12), Help with buyers dinner at Gasconade County Fair (9, 10), and Help with concession stand at wiener dog race (9, 10, 11).
- Helped Girl Scouts put up flags for various holidays and also for the death of Erik Heldt (soldier killed in Iraq) (9, 10, 11);
- Helped at the concession stand for the 5th and 6th grade basketball tournament (9, 10, 11, 12);
- Helped at the HHS concession stand during games (9, 10, 11, 12);
- Helped organize and work a car wash benefitting Mike Todd, a victim of a car accident and fellow St. Paul’s Sunday School member (11);
- Helped the Hermann Masons work at a child ID clinic fingerprinting the children attending the clinic;
- Community service worker for Coach Schneider at HHS helping him with what he needed done (12);
- Worked at BearFest at Missouri State University by helping with activities for incoming college students at the beginning of the school year (College 1); and
- Donated blood at Hermann and Springfield, Missouri (College 1, 2).
Jacob worked for the City of Hermann as a soccer referee from 2003 to 2007; as a stocker and bagger for Loutre Market in 2007 and 2008; and as a baseball umpire for the City of Hermann in 2008 and 2009.
Jacob is employed by Missouri State University as an assistant in all areas of the accounting department. In the summer, Jacob umpired baseball games, cut grass, and helped his dad with his truck.
In the future, Jacob hopes to either pursue a job in the business field or attend law school.
During Jayme’s two years at William Woods University, she has maintained above a 3.0 GPA.
While in Hermann High School, Jayme’s extracurricular activities included:
- Freshman Class Treasurer (9);
- FCCLA Member (9, 10, 11) (Treasurer-9);
- Trend Member (9);
- FBLA Member (9, 10);
- Future Teacher’s Association Member (10, 11, 12)
- HHS Varsity Football Cheerleader (9, 10, 11, 12) (Co-Captain-10, Captain-12);
- HHS JV and Varsity Basketball Cheerleader (9, 10, 11, 12) (Co-Captain-10, Captain-12);
- Town and Country 4H Member (Grades 1 through 12) (Vice President-9, 10, 11);
- HHS Girls Choir Member (9, 10, 11, 12) (Vice President-12);
- Hermann Girl Scout Member (Grades 1 through 12);
- William Woods University Men’s and Women’s Basketball Cheerleader (College 1 & 2) (Captain-College 2);
- Delta Gamma Delta Omega Member (College 1 & 2); and
- St. Paul’s United Church of Christ Member.
Honors and awards received:
- Perfect Attendance (Kindergarten through 12);
- Who’s Who Among American High School Students
- Lloyd Stock All Around Student Award
- Karate-Black Belt-1st Degree
- FCCLA-Gold Regional Award, Silver State Award, Star Events Judge;
- Cheerleader Varsity Letter with 8 Bars-Co-Captain , Captain and nominated for All American Cheerleader;
- HHS Honor Roll;
- 4-H Member-12 Years (Vice President-4 Years);
- St. Paul UCC Member-New Orleans Mission Trip Participant;
- Girl Scouts-Member-12 Years (God and Country-All three levels, Community Service Bar, Leadership Awards, Bronze Award, Silver Award, Gold Award-Highest Award Attainable);
- VFW Ladies Auxiliary-Outstanding Achievement Citation.
- Citizenship Award (2006-2008);
- Bradley Good Citizen Essay Contest (2006-2008);
- 4th Place Campus Bowl (2008);
- 1st Place Northeast Regional Envirothon (2007);
- Missouri State FFA Leadership Metal (2007);
- 2nd Place Individual State FFA Agriculture Mechanics (2008); and
- I rating district saxophone solo (2007).
Community and other service activities:
- High School Community Service Hours (Total Hours-655) (FCCLA-31, Cheerleading-77, 4-H-35, HHS Concession Stand-12, St. Paul UCC Mission Trip to New Orleans, LA-134, Girl Scouts-354, Hermann Masons-12);
- Teacher Helper Community Service Worker (135 Hours);
- FCCLA-Helped host a Hospitality Room for HHS basketball tournament, made a scrapbook of events during the year, presented it to the star event judges and received a regional gold award. Presented the scrapbook to state judges and received a silver award. The following year, selected a star event judge for the regional competition;
- Cheerleading-Helped lead the relay for life parade. Helped make food and host a hospitality room for a basketball tournament. Helped organize and work car washes, helped plan and host cheer clinics for younger students.
- 4-H-Helped work the concession stand for the wiener dog race. Picked up trash in Hermann and surrounding areas. Helped decorate the resident’s doors at the Frene Valley Nursing Home at Christmastime. Helped host bingos at the nursing home. Helped clean up the sale barn arena at the Gasconade County Fair in Owensville, Mo. Worked the buyer’s dinner at the Fair;
- HHS Concession Stand-Worked at the concession stand for track, baseball and volleyball;
- St. Paul’s Mission Trip to New Orleans and Other Activities-Helped with the younger children making crafts during Advent workshop. Helped organize and work a car wash for a fellow Sunday School student critically injured in a car accident. Helped organize and worked with Trivia Night fundraiser for Mission Trip. Worked dinners for Mission Trip fundraisers. Helped organize, make crafts and work mother/daughter spa day. Helped organize and work car wash for Mission Trip. Helped organize and work rummage sale. In New Orleans tore down houses, worked food pantry, served meals and helped with church services;
- Girl Scouts-For holidays, helped make crafts and delivered them to the Hermann senior housing residents. Helped decorate the DFS Christmas tree, donate gifts and wrap gifts for the children. Helped put up and take down Christmas tree at the Senior Housing facilities. Helped host a birthright shower. Helped organize Thinking Day and helped make crafts and food for younger scouts. Attended church services on Girl Scout Sunday at area churches. Helped with flag ceremony and gave speech during church. Helped put up and take down flags in Hermann on special occasions. Helped most Hermann’s recognition ceremony with flags. Presented a cheer clinic and gave cheerleading cushions for younger scouts. Earned bronze award by making magnets, decorating flower pots with plants and giving them to people who received meals on wheels and nursing home residents. Earned silver award by making stuffed bears and donating them to the Gasconade County Health Department. Earned gold award by hosting a senior citizens prom;
- Hermann Masons-Helped with MoChips, a child identification clinic by fingerprinting children for the identification kit. Helped serve at a breakfast;
- Teacher Helper Community Service Worker-Helped in classroom for a special reading class; and
- College Community Service Hours (15 Hours)-Car wash for cheerleading (4), car wash for service for sight charity (4), Christmas tree lot for sight charity (7).
Jayme works 10 hours a week in a back pack program for after school care. Jayme babysits for family, friends and neighbors. She helps her mom with laundry and other duties around the home. This summer Jayme will be a nanny for two children.
After college graduation, Jayme hopes to become a special education teacher helping children gain their self esteem.